My name is Omar Reyes, I am currently an admissions officer at Rhode Island College. Currently I do not teach in a classroom setting however I am in constant contact with student through my employment as an admissions officer. I typically visit 30-35 high schools a year and speak to student(mostly potential first generation college students) on the benefits of a Rhode Island College education. When visiting these schools I am always so dumbfounded by the lack of opportunities in some urban districts compared to the more suburban school districts. I can visit a school that is in pristine condition, with robotics labs, and even a bank inside, not an atm a bank inside, and then drive 5 minutes down the road and find a school with leaky roofs and broken desks. I am currently not in any specific graduate program; I am taking non-degree courses for general interest and to become a much more well rounded individual. In my spare time I enjoy watching the NBA, I am a huge New York Knicks fan. I am looking forward to meeting all of you in person and taking this class!

No comments:
Post a Comment